General Sir Richard Barrons on Disruptive Tech
Former Commander Joint Forces Command Talks About Technology Challenges for Defence
Last September, General Sir Richard Barrons, Former Commander Joint Forces Command (2013-2016), UK Vice Chief of Defence Staff, Commander Joint Forces Command and many very senior national military and NATO leaders met at the annual Disruptive Technology for Defence Transformation conference.
Ahead of this year’s conference, General Sir Barrons has contributed to a Post Show Report which summarises the key discussions, themes and recommendations of the high-level meeting last year, giving insights into where the future of the industry lies. Read the full report here.
Key session summaries include:
- Perspectives from the UK Joint Forces Command – General Sir Chris Deverell, Commander, UK Joint Forces Command
- Transforming the OODA Loop: The impact of AI and Big Data – Dr. Thomas Killion, Chief Scientist, NATO
- Croatian Vision for Capability Transformation – General Mirko Šundov, Chief of Defence, Croatian Ministry of Defence
- Stategies for Achieving Innovation, Challenges to Overcome, Key Military Drivers and Next Steps – General Sir Richard Barrons, Former Commander (2013-2016), Joint Forces Command
Given the passage of world events over the last year, it has become even more important to grasp the imperative of defence innovation to retain the competitive edge. Disruptive Technology 2019 provides a platform to discuss innovative solutions to align military capabilities to the future threat environment and retain strategic overmatch in the context of rapid technological development.
The conference will examine how selected major capability areas can be transformed by combinations of data processing, connectivity, robotics, autonomy, and machine learning/artificial intelligence. Over two days we will examine some common themes, five key capability areas, and the relationships between them in a future Joint and Combined Force.
The conference will welcome strategic thought leaders including:
- General Sir Gordon Messenger, Vice Chief of the Defence Staff, UK MoD
- General Sir Chris Deverell, Commander, UK Joint Forces Command
- General Mirko Šundov, Chief of Defence, Croatian Ministry of Defence
- Lieutenant General Ivan Hooper, Chief Executive Officer Information Systems and Services, UK Ministry of Defence
- Dr. Thomas H. Killion, Chief Scientist, NATO
- Dr. Richard J. Joseph, Chief Scientist, US Air Force
- Air Vice-Marshal Bruce H. Hedley, Director Joint Warfare, UK Joint Forces Command
- Major General Rob Magowan, Assistant Chief of Naval Staff (Capability), Royal Navy
- Major General Odd-Harald Hagen, Head of the Department of Defence Policy and Long Term Planning, Norwegian Ministry of Defence
- Major General John S. Kem, Commandant, US Army War College
- Brigadier Greg Wilson Head Capability and Strategic Development, British Army
- Brigadier General José Antonio Herrera Llamas, Director CCDC – Joint Concept Development Center, Spanish Ministry of Defence
Find out more in 3 ways:
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call the team on +44 (0) 20 7036 1300
- Download the Conference Agenda online
As a reader of Warfare.Today you are eligible for a 10% discount off the marked ticket price, meaning you can save up to £600 before Friday 28th June. Register now with Warfare.Today10